Usually when we heard upma, we right away think it is made from sooji or rawa. But for the change today I made upma through vermicelli. Frequently I prepare upma for breakfast. Upma can be made through oats, soji, dalia, poha and vermicelli. To prepare vermicelli upma I used roasted vermicelli. You can also make it through unroasted vermicelli or semiya. Here I used lots of veggies; it will increase the nutritional value of the recipe. It is a protein rich food. Whenever my niece asked me to prepare maggi I always prepare vermicelli upma for her and told to her it is homemade maggi. Vermicelli upma is much healthier than maggi. It comes in healthy breakfast recipes section. I used carrot and peas; if you wan you can add finely chopped capsicum and boiled beans also.
Main ingredient of Vermicelli (Semiya) Upma recipe is Vermicelli (Semiya)
Health benefits of Vermicelli (Semiya) Upma recipe
- It is Protein rich food. You will get almost 9g protein per serving.
- It is iron rich food also, helps to increase the concentration as well as prevents from anemia.
- It is rich in Dietary fibers, makes your digestive system clean, also it will improve the overall health. Single serving of vermicelli upma you will get almost 4.5g fibers; usually we need approximately 25-30g fiber every day.
- It contains fair amount of calcium, copper, phosphorus and other minerals.
- It contains fair amount of Vitamin A, vitamin C and other antioxidants.
Total (Preparation +cook) time-20 minutes
Roasted Vermicelli (Semiya) -1/2 cup
Onion- 1 no medium size
Tomato- 1 no medium size
Green Peas (hara mutter)-15g
Carrot-1 no small size
Green chili-3 no
Curry leaves-10-15 leaves
Kaju (cashew nuts) – 5 no (optional)
Coriander leaves- 1 tsp
Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Salt- as per taste
Oil- 1 tbsp
- For unroasted vermicelli- roast vermicelli for 5 minutes in medium flame, until it turns to slightly golden.
- In pan heat oil, add kaju (cashew nuts) fry it. When cashew nuts turn light brown, take it out in a plate.
- In the same pan add mustard seeds when it starts crackle add groundnut, fry it, then add green peas, curry leaves and finely chopped green chills to it.fry it for a while, then add finely chopped onions and finely chopped carrot to it. Fry it until onion turns to light maroon color.
- After that add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, coriander powder and salt to it, mix well. Add little water to it. Cover it until tomato cooked or tomatoes become mushy.
- Then add 1.5 cup of water to the onion tomato mixture, when it starts boiling add vermicelli to. Mix well. Cover it and cook it until it’s done, in between just stir it once or twice.
- Serve hot, garnish with fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves.
You can have it with other breakfast recipes also such as tomato chutney,mango chutney etc.
Nutritional Information of Vermicelli (Semiya) Upma recipe
Energy kCal- 684.2,
Dietary Fiber, gm-9.5,
Vitamin A, mcg-1258.6,
Vitamin B1, mg-0.6,
Vitamin B2, mg-0.2,
Vitamin B3, mg-6.6 ,
Vitamin B6, mg-0.0,
Vitamin B9 Folic Acid, mcg-33.1,
Vitamin B12, mcg-0.0 ,
Vitamin C, mg-34.7,
Vitamin D, mcg-0.0,
Vitamin E, mg-0.4,
Vitamin K, mcg-15.5,
Omega 3, mg-0.0,
Omega 6, mg-5850.0