Raw jack fruit is also known as kathal in hindi, panasakaya in telegu.Basically Jackfruit is very tasty, the unripe flesh of jack fruit is in green color, and through this we can make lots of delicious recipes. It is very healthy. You can get jack fruit usualy in summer season. We can prepare dry or rase vale curry through it. Today I added dry raw jack fruit curry.
Main ingredient of Panasakaya kura(Kathal/ raw jack fruit curry) is raw jackfruit
Dietitian in Mumbai shares the health benefits of Raw jack fruit
Raw Jack fruit is wonderful vegetable it is almost liked by everyone. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals and proteins.
- It is filled with vitamin C; it helps to boost the immune system. Prevent cell from free radical damages.
- It is the rich source of phyto-nutrients, falvonoids, lignans, isoflavones saponins. These all are anti aging and anti cancer agents.
- It is rich in Vitamin A; helps to improve vision and prevent cataract.
- It is rich in potassium which helps to maintain heart healthy and prevents from heart disease.
- It is rich in copper minerals which help to keep away from thyroid gland disorders.
Overall it is a wonderful vegetable, try to add this vegetable in your diet chart at least 2 times in a week.
Actually I am not sure with omega 3 fatty acids values in this recipe that’s why I am not adding it.
Health benefits of Panasakaya Kura (Kathal/ raw jack fruit curry) recipe
- It is Protein rich food.
- Panasakaya kura is rich in iron also, it helps to prevent anemia.
- It is rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin A.
- It is also rich in minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, copper etc.
- It contain good amount of dietary fiber also.
Serving size– 7-8 person
Total time (Preparation +cooking) – 40 minutes
Jack fruit (panasakaya) – 1 kg
Tamarind (emli) – 1 big lime size
Green chilli- 7 no
Ginger- 1 tsp
Jeera (cumin seeds)-1 tsp
Rai (mustard seeds) – 1 tsp
Red chilli-7 no
Chana dal (Bengal gram split)-1 tbsp
Urad dal (black gram split)-1 tbsp
Curry leaves-10-12 leaves
Salt- as per taste
- In a cooker add long slices of raw jack fruit, ½ tsp salt, a pinch turmeric and 2 cup of water to it. Cook for 10- 15 minutes or at least 3 whistles
- With the help of masher mash it very well, as shown in figure.
- Soak tamarind in one cup of water for 20 minutes. After that mash it, and separate the tamarind pulp and tamarind juice.
- Take pan heat oil; add urad dal and chana dal fry it.
- When dal turns light brown add jeera, musterd seeds, fry it.
- When mustard seeds starts crackle add green chills, dry chills, fry for a while.
- Fry it. As shown in figure.
- When the tempering is done add boiled jackfruit and tamarind juice to it.
- Mix it well then add salt, turmeric and chopped ginger. Mix it.(Please check the taste before adding salt, as we already added little salt to it while boiling raw jack fruit)
Serve hot with rice, chapattis, and pulkas.
Nutritional Information of Panasakaya Kura (Kathal/ raw jack fruit curry) recipe
| Energy kCal- 837.9,
Dietary Fiber, gm-7.1,
Vitamin A, mcg-236.3,
Vitamin B1, mg-0.7,
Vitamin B2, mg-0.5,
Vitamin B3, mg-3.2 ,
Vitamin B6, mg-0.0,
Vitamin B9 Folic Acid, mcg-46.9,
Vitamin B12, mcg-0.0 ,
Vitamin C, mg-152.1,
Vitamin D, mcg-0.0,
Vitamin E, mg-0.0
Vitamin K, mcg-0.0,
Omega 3, mg-0.0,
Omega 6, mg-5850.0