Bitter gourd is also known as karela. The name itself shows that it’s bitter in taste. But on the other side it gives several health and beauty benefits. My both parents are diabetic patient. My mother always makes karela chutney for herself and for dad. She is eating this chutney almost every day. This chutney is very beneficial for people taking diabetes treatment.
Main ingredient of Karela chutney is Karela (Bitter gourd).
Health benefits of bitter gourd chutney
- Bitter gourd is packed with antioxidants especially vitamin C. Vitamin C and E helps to protect the cells from the free radical damages. Skin specialist in Mumbai tells that vitamin C antioxidant helps to makes skin brighten and fade pigmentation marks too. She says lots of brands use vitamin C in there cosmetics.
- 100 gm of bitter gourd gives only 25 calories. It comes in low glycemic index food category. Those who are looking for how to reduce weight naturally bitter gourd juice is best for them. Drinking bitter gourd juice regularly will help to reduce weight.You can add Bitter gourd juice in your GM Diet plan also.
- Beauty center khar tells that regular consumption of bitter gourd juice is also helpful to get rid of those ugly pimples and premature graying of hair.
- Due to their high water and fiber content, bitter gourd work as a blood purifier as well as it helps to detoxify the body.
- It helps to reduce the symptoms high blood pressure and cholesterol level also.
- Bitter gourd contain negligible amount of sugar,therefore it is recommended for those patients who are taking Diabetes treatment.
- Bitter gourds boost the immunity system.
All around if we want to stay fit and look beautiful we need to consume bitter gourd regularly.
My grand maa always use to say “karela kadwa hai par sehad se bhara hai”.
Serving size – 4 person
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Shelf life – 1 day (store in fridge)
Kerela – 100 gm
Green chilli – 2 (you can increase it)
Salt – as per taste
Oil – 1/2 teaspoon
1 – Boil kerela in cooker and add ½ teaspoon salt to it while boiling.
2 – Squeeze the karela and mash it. You need to mash karela when it is hot otherwise seeds become hard.
3 – In silbata, mash kerela and green chili and add ½ teaspoon oil.
4 – Season with salt and little oil (optional)
5 – Serve immediately with hot rice.
Shelf life – 1 day (store in fridge) try to eat fresh karela chutney every day, because it start losing its nutrition and freshness immediately.
Nutritional information of karela chutney
Energy kCal – 48.4,
Protein, gm – 1.7,
Carbohydrates, gm – 4.3,
Fat, gm – 2.7,
Dietary Fiber, gm – 4.3,
Vitamin A, mcg – 131.3,
Vitamin B1, mg – 0.1,
Vitamin B2, mg – 0.1,
Vitamin B3, mg – 0.5 ,
Vitamin B6, mg – 0.0,
Vitamin B9 Folic Acid, mcg – 0.9,
Vitamin B12, mcg – 0.0 ,
Vitamin C, mg – 91.3,
Vitamin D, mcg – 0.0,
Vitamin E, mg – 0.0,
Vitamin K, mg – 4.8,
Calcium, mg – 20.9,
Phosphorus, mg – 72.4,
Iron, mg – 0.7,
Magnesium, mg – 44.2,
Copper, mcg – 142.0,
Manganese, mg – 0.1,
Molybdenum, mcg – 2.1,
Zinc, mg – 0.5,
Chromium, mcg – 6.2,
Selenium, mcg – 0.0,
Omega 3, mg – 0.0,
Omega 6, mg – 975