It is a delicious dessert that can be prepared within few minutes. Sooji halwa is usually made for pooja. You can eat plain sooji ka halwa or with poori. Sooji is also called as rawa. In English we called sooji as semolina. Semolina is a roughly ground grain frequently used while making upma,sooji ka halwa,pastas,sooji ke laddu any many other breakfast recipes.
Main Ingredient of Semolina Dessert (Sooji ka halwa /Sheera) recipe is Sooji (Semolina).
Dietitian in Mumbai shared with us some health benefits of semolina. Semolina is made from durum wheat; it makes you feel full for longer time. It is loaded with energy. Sooji can be considered as balanced food, as it is low in sodium and cholesterol but rich in fiber and vitamin B.
Similar to numerous other types of wheat, it also contains gluten; it’s not good for those who are suffering from celiac disease. Semolina is also recognized for its lovely taste and texture. It is very light dish, you can consume during night time.
Health benefits of Sooji ka halwa recipe
- Sooji ka halwa is loaded with calories. Best Breakfast recipes for kids, because their metabolic rate is very high. They need high calories food.If you are looking what to eat during pregnancy add sooji ka halwa in your diet chart, it gives you instant energy.
- Sooji ka halwa is Protein rich food.
- Sooji ka halwa contain fair amount of vitamin C, vitamin A, folic acid and other vitamins.
- Sooji ka halwa is Calcium rich food. Helps to strengthen the bones and teeth.
- Sooji ka halwa contain fair amount of omega 3 essential fatty acid. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential for brain development.
Total (Preparation + cook) time-20 minutes
Shelf life– 2 days
Semolina (Sooji)- 1 cup (150g)
Sugar-3/4 cup (200g /as per taste)
Nutmeg powder- ¼ tsp
Raisin- 30g (20-25 no)
Cashew nut- 15 g (8-10 no)
Elaychi (Cardamom Powder)-1/2 tsp
Warm Milk- 500ml
- Take a pan add 1 tsp ghee heat it, add cashew nut and raisin fry it. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add reaming ghee, and sooji to it. Fry it for at least 7-8 minutes, in medium flame only. Keep on stirring sooji continuously. So that it roast evenly and doesn’t stick on the pan.
- Roast sooji until the sooji turns to light brown color and ghee separated from it. (Roast it in slow flame only)
- After that pour milk to it. Cook it for 2-3 minutes and keep on stirring sooji continuously. Cover it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add sugar and mix well.
- Then add nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and fried nuts to it. Mix well. Switch off the flame, cover it for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with nuts.
Nutritional Information of Semolina Dessert (Sooji ka halwa /Sheera)
Energy kCal- 2380.8,
Dietary Fiber, gm-0.6,
Vitamin A, mcg-634.7,
Vitamin B1, mg-0.6,
Vitamin B2, mg-1.1,
Vitamin B3, mg-3.3 ,
Vitamin B6, mg-0.0,
Vitamin B9 Folic Acid, mcg-42.5,
Vitamin B12, mcg-0.7 ,
Vitamin C, mg-10.3,
Vitamin D, mcg-5.0,
Vitamin E, mg-0.0,
Vitamin K, mcg-0.0,
Omega 3, mg-60.0,
Omega 6, mg-0.0