Today I am adding weight loss recipe or GM Diet recipe in my breakfast recipes section. Whenever I travel in train I often eat this type of chatpata food which is served by local vendors in running trains. This is a mouth watering recipe, you can’t control yourself, but “Hygiene is a main factor”. It is a super food for breakfast.
Today I prepared Kala Chana (Chickpeas) salad at my home and the taste is same like “train wala chatpata chana”, it is very healthy as well as tasty too, tangy taste of kala chana salad is superb, and you will always want to eat one more extra spoon. Those people who are in GM Diet or any weight loss Diet they can have it on their diet chart. As it is low in calories but rich in fibers this helps to reduce weight. The fiber contain of kala chana make them feel full for the longer period of time hence you tend to eat less calories.
Main Ingredients of Kala Chana (Chickpeas) salad
- Kala Chana
Kala chana is also known as chickpeas or Bengal gram whole in English. It belongs to legume family. Kala chana comes into low glycemic index food category (you can add it in your GM Diet plan also). Kala chana has numerous health benefits. It helps to reduce weight, improves the heart heath, regulate the blood sugar levels in the body, it is a good source of Iron and proteins. It contains Phyto-nutrients, which helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer as well as prevents from osteoporosis. During menopause the level of estrogen hormones will drop, it helps to maintain it as well as minimize the hot flushes. Overall kala chana is very nutritious food.
Health benefits of Kala Chana (Chickpeas) salad
- It is low in calories but rich in dietary fibers, it helps to lose weight, as well as it improves the digestive system. It helps in Diabetes treatment and reduces the symptoms of High blood pressure. Single serving of kala chana salad gives you 10g of fibers.
- Recommendation from Dietitian – every adult needs 35 – 35 gm of fiber every day, and in our day to day life style we usually eat junk food, chips, processed food or street food. These foods are high in calories and fats but low in fiber and other nutrients, these foods support inflammation which may lead to many disease and constipation also. High fiber food helps to clean your colon and it prevents from many diseases. High fiber food is also helpful to regulate the blood sugar level as well as it reduces the Bad cholesterol level in the body.
- It is Protein rich Food; single serving of kala chana salad gives almost 6 gm of proteins.
- It is rich in antioxidants such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C and folic acids, these antioxidants helps to prevent from many diseases, as well as improve immune system.
- It is rich in minerals such as calcium, iron, copper, phosphorus and other minerals.
Serving size – 3 – 4 (People eating)
Cook time – 20 minutes
Kala chana (Chickpeas) (Bengal Gram Whole) – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 no medium size
Tomatoes – 1 no medium size
Green chili – 1 to 2 as per your taste
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Lemon – 1/2 (as per your taste)
Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
Tea bag – 1 no
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
- Wash as soak kala chana for at least 10 hours. To use as breakfast recipes, soak overnight. After that drain the water and wash well, pour washed kala chana in pressure cooker add water and make sure the level of water is just above the kala chana, this will stop the excess movement and save them from mash, add 1 tea bag, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp baking soda. Cook for 5 to 6 whistles; cook it in low to medium flame. Drain the water and Keep chana aside.
- (Now the question is why I added tea bag and baking soda to it, generally at home we see chana cooked properly from outside but it still remains dry from inside. When we add tea bag and soda, during cooking it will release CO2 (carbon dioxide) It helps to cook kala chana properly form inside out.) In the following image you can clearly see that the 1st picture (left side) chickpeas are very dry, and in the 2nd picture (right side) the chickpeas are moist.
- Chop finely onion, tomato, green chili and coriander leaves, keep it aside.
- In a bowl add boiled kala chana, chopped onion, tomatoe, green chili, chat masala, coriander leaves and salt (I have added ½ tsp salt during boiling of kala chana, please taste kala chana before adding more salt).
- At last squeeze the lemon to the salad and mix well.
- Serve it.
Nutritional Information of Kala Chana (Chickpeas) salad Recipe
Energy kCal – 428.0,
Protein, gm – 19.5,
Carbohydrates, gm – 74.5,
Fat, gm – 5.7,
Dietary Fiber, gm – 30.2,
Vitamin A, mcg – 896.1,
Vitamin B1, mg – 0.5,
Vitamin B2, mg – 0.2,
Vitamin B3, mg – 3.7,
Vitamin B6, mg – 0.0,
Vitamin B9 Folic Acid, mcg – 216.0,
Vitamin B12, mcg – 0.0,
Vitamin C, mg – 42.0,
Vitamin D, mcg – 0.0,
Vitamin E, mg – 0.5,
Vitamin K, mcg – 15.5,
Calcium, mg – 293.4,
Phosphorus, mg – 377.4,
Iron, mg – 6.2,
Magnesium, mg – 122.5,
Copper, mcg – 1383.0,
Manganese, mg – 1.5,
Molybdenum, mcg – 210.0,
Zinc, mg – 6.5,
Chromium, mcg – 24.4,
Selenium, mcg – 0.0,
Omega 3, mg – 0.0,
Omega 6, mg – 0.0